our little blessing

Our son Teak Joseph Head was born on October 28th, 2010. He has been a blessing in our lives even before he was born. We truly feel honored that the Lord chose both of us to be the parents of this special boy. Teak was born with Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele and a minor hearing loss in both ears. Both un-related to each other. These are the curve balls of life. You never know when they are coming, you just keep your head up, step up and hit back with prayer, strength and love.
Welcome to our lives. Teak will one day change the world for the better just the way he has changed us.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Finally


Finally, mother and baby together!!! I was released from St. David's on October 30th. Two and half days longer than I wanted but knew it was necessary. Since I had to have a scheduled c-section and knew I would several months prior to the delivery, I told my OB/GYN and her nurse practitioner that I wanted to get out of the hospital as soon as possible. They kept telling me oh, a c-section will keep you in there at least 2 - 4 days and typically the latter is more common. Well, I didn't care and didn't want to hear it. I warned them that 2 days was going to be long enough...

By the middle of the 2nd day I was up and walking around the room and hospital. Slowly walking but walking. Walking is actually good for recovery. I am serious. It is. It helps your body to recover and start to mend itself back. I am not saying walk a mile but get off your butt and take a little stroll.

My mother-in-law had a c-section over 20 years ago and kept telling me how HORRIBLE it was and how painful, etc. But I think I have a different level of pain tolerance than she does because it hurt but didn't hurt that bad. Yes, I know they had me doped up a little but I didn't even take all my pain meds. Plus, in all honestly, everyone is entitled to their own experience. You can't compare your experience to anyone else because we are all different human beings. Plus, I had other things on my mind...my son who was undergoing major back surgery at less than 24 hours old.

Alright, so my doctor, Dr. Merritt, is wonderful. I have been going to her for 18 years. She definitely made a note in my file that I wanted to get out of there. I made sure all my nurses knew as well. So Saturday roles around, it is past 10 which means that I have been there over 2 days now because we had arrived around 7am on Thursday so I am getting ansy. I have already showered by myself, walked down the hall a couple times getting ice and water. Pumped a few times and ready to go. I couldn't concentrate on the TV, magazine or book that I had in my room. I packed my bags, waiting. The on call doctor finally came in around 1pm after I asked my nurse to check up on the delay. He checked me out and said I was good to go. I called Chad as fast as I could and he said he was on his way from Dell. Thank God it was so close.

Gee, just walking from the parking lot to the NICU was a trek but a good one for me. It just took longer because you put put along because of the soreness. Seriously, walking from the parking lot into the front door, over the bridge inside, to the elevators to the 4th floor, then out of the elevators, down the hall of windows, into the NICU doors, wash your hands, dry them, use the de-germing jell, down the hall of all the rooms to the last one on the right. Number 19. My baby boy was in there, number 19, they had already placed his name on the door in big letters cut from stationary. The T was formed in the shape of a celtic looking cross. I loved it.

I honestly can't even remember if he was awake or asleep because I was son overwhelmed with emotion of finally seeing my baby boy. We had spent 9 months together, just the 2 of us and now had to spend 2 1/2 days apart. I leaned over and started talking to him and then the tears started. It was funny because Chad's reaction was to tell me it was okay and to not cry (he said it sweetly) but our bold red-headed nurse snapped back at him and said it was okay for me to cry that it was normal and good for me to cry.
You see, they wouldn't let anyone hold him, not even Chad, until I got there to hold him for the first time.

After Teak's surgery, Chad would put the phone up to Teak's ear several times so that I could talk to him. It was so hard to talk to my boy and be so far away. I felt angry with Chad and his mother for being there even though I knew it was good that they were there with Teak. But now I could be here with him. I had been pumping so I brought some of my milk with me, it wasn't much but what can you do. My milk took a few days to come in. I just kept on pumping.
The day nurse on Tuesday said that I could go ahead and try to get him latched on and she would help. Ouch, he seems to latch pretty good so she let me nurse him. It hurt but sometimes things in life hurt to get to the good part. I was just happy to be there all day with my baby boy. Doctors coming and going. Nurses on their little schedules.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about with regards to the c-section. I was considerably sore...but by the 2nd day, i did force myself to get out of bed and walk the halls as mch as I could. I remember the first time, i only made it to the door before I started crying. The next time, I made it out the door and into the hallway, etc... Nursing was painful too, but you get used to it, and eventually it doesn;t hurt anymore. I only got to nurse for 3 months before I dried up due to my other 2 surgeries within a month of my c-section. I was dissapointed, but you roll with the punches I guess....I will say that formula is crazy expensive! ;)

    ReplyDelete